Sunday, January 15, 2012

Bella's Birthday!

Sorry for the delay in new posts everyone! But good news I just finished my latest baking venture, a double-layer chocolate cake. My mom's co-worker has a daughter, Bella, who is celebrating her 8th birthday. When I asked what kind of cake she wanted me to bake I was told one word and one word only: Chocolate. Seems fitting for an 8 year old girl to ask for and I was more than happy to create birthday cake for her. Bella had my strawberry cupcakes recently and she LOVED them. So I decided to be creative and decorate her cake with more strawberries. Here is how it turned out!


A trick I learned that helps with removal of 
cake from pans: line the bottom with wax paper


Then fill with cake batter and bake


I found some pretty pink sparkly icing and I 
wrote her name on wax paper to dry
and then place on the cake later


While the cake was baking I started
to dip the strawberries in white chocolate


Then to make her name really "pop" on the 
cake I decided to put polka dots on the
strawberries



Once the cake had cooled I iced it


Then I place the berries around the edge and 
her name in the center


Close up


Unfortunately in the middle of delivering the cake to Bella, for some reason a crack started to form near the center of the cake. The crack slowly somehow turned into a crater of sorts. It almost looked like my entire cake was a tectonic plate and an earthquake decided to destroy the world. Fortunately, Bella still loved the cake and so did her mom, so I guess I can still count it as a success!
peace&hearts,
G.

1 comment: